|Version 4.1.7||Developer Bombich Software, Inc|
Bombich claims to be the original OS X backup people. A leader in Mac backups since 2002. Mike Bombich started this company based in Florida in 2002. It has 6 employees and focuses on backup software for Mac.
The Carbon Copy Cloner interface is not the most modern one you can find, but because of it’s simplicity it is easy to use and supports ‘drag & drop’ of locations (source, destination). The side panel can be hidden if desired to provide a more focused screen. We’ve tried nearly all backup applications and this latest CCC is one of the best to use in practice. The scheduling can be set in various ways, so is the access to protected disks no problem and is handled perfectly.
DON’T WAIT FOR DISK FAILURE
Carbon Copy Cloner is a way to make diskfailures annoying rather than fatal for your hard work. CCC backs up any or all of your files and it also optionally creates a bootable external hard drive. I’ve heard it honderds of times from people stressfully and in dispair saying ‘ you mean that all is lost? ‘, yep all’s gone sir! Dataloss will happen to almost everybody at some point if you’re like me always testing new stuff and beta software. Better be safe then sorry, so get your data backed-up daily.
Carbon Copy Cloner is your best friend when it comes down to your data protection. Like many applications a list of features is included in the application, but CCC really stands out in ‘protection’ due to their ‘SafetyNet’ setting. In case of any backup error an email can be send to the administrator involved. Good option as it is no use to make backups and find out afterwards that things didn’t go as planned. A backup is a ‘life saver’ in terms of data.
- Bring back files that you thought you’d lost forever! CCC can capture all your files exactly as they are at a moment in time. Restore files you accidentally deleted, or turn back the clock on your whole computer.
- Update only the files that have been added or modified.
- Create a backup on your external drive, or back up your files to another Macintosh.
Task Grouping and Sorting
- Collect your tasks into groups to visually organize them. Run a group of tasks with a single click, or schedule a group all at once. Tasks can also be sorted by name, exit status, last run date, next run date, or manually.
- In addition to keeping you posted with the macOS Notification Center, CCC can email you the results of your backup tasks. It couldn’t be easier — configure your email account settings once and use them across multiple tasks!
- CCC can back up your data hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, or whenever you connect to your backup drive. You can tell CCC to back up only on weekdays, weekends, or only during certain times of day. You can also craft a more sophisticated backup strategy with task chaining and scheduled task groups.
Smarter Safety Net
- Afraid you might accidentally select the wrong destination? It happens, we’re human! SafetyNet protects the content on your destination from configuration mistakes. SafetyNet is smarter than ever: if you run out of space during a backup, CCC can free up space automatically and resume your backup.
- Quickly view when your tasks have run and if they were successful. Restrict the list by task name, source volume, destination volume, or run date. Receive detailed information and advice on tasks that resulted in errors.
Of course we make use of Time Machine for our backup, its easy and works well, however not sufficient in all cases.Time Machine is a great backup as long as you’re able to enter the partition, but it can’t boot your system and take it from there. Okay, there’s Safe Mode and others available to make things happen but this is not for dummies.
For those who don’t want all their stuff stored on a cloud like Dropbox or Google, a personal external NAS backup system is needed.
This is where software like Carbon Copy Cloner is essential for performing the job. At launch Carbon Copy Cloner presents a clean interface with a sidebar showing the task description and a window showing : source, destination and schedule buttons.
In addition the ‘task overview’ sidebar also shows all mounted volumes. Thanks to the intuitive interface it is really easy to setup backup tasks.
You don’t have to be a wizzard to accomplish these task setups. Everything is straightforward really. After choosing the ‘source’ and ‘destination’ you add a schedule for the backup task.
Even with the latest MacOS ‘Big Sur’ ,you can clone the entire bootdisk to an external unit. Job done !
Normally CCC runs in default ‘simple’ mode. All advanced settings are hidden. Opening the advanced settings offers a fine tuning for the backup task and the SafetyNet feature.
It is possible that you may run several operations, and option for ‘wait till task is finished’ is optional to have CCC run all tasks even if there is a time-overlap.
You are also capable of running your own Shell Script before or after a file copy ! This feature is mainly needed for companies and not so much for private buyers I guess. Still it does show the professional setup of this application keeping in mind the buyer being either private or business related.
Create a bootable clone of your hard drive, but also keep copies of your recently deleted and changed files — just in case.
Carbon Copy Cloner is running all created jobs safe, easy and fast. A detailed interface showing the set job(s). Loads of options are available and a bootable clone is also part of the package. Carbon Copy Cloner is the easiest backup utility, not complaining about authorization issues with external discs. Just Drag & Drop your source and destination and you’re on your way. Fully ‘auto scheduled’ backups complete a best in class application.